L letterpress machine plates
We offer a series of pre-designed letterpress printing plates for do-it-yourself at home machines such as the L Letterpress, Cuttlebug and various homemade presses. These are KF152 Plastic backed polymer plates. They have a sturdy adhesive backing to adhere to your machine bed. These durable plates can be cut apart easily with scissors and used over and over for hundreds of impressions on many letterpress projects.
Each pack contains one KF152 polymer plate. Also enclosed, for your inking ease, are some extra polymer plate strips to use as “roller bearers” which will support your brayer during inking.
SOME INFO FOR YOU IN REGARDS TO YOUR PLATE:
- After cleaning your plates, you can put the release paper back on and store them in the plastic bag (preferably laying them flat)
- Do not clean your plates with water but instead use a soft rag and wipe the ink off.
TIPS FOR PRINTING WITH THESE PLATES AND THE L LETTERPRESS:
- Read our Boxcar Press blog on using this Do It Yourself machine. It has many helpful suggestions for achieving the best results.
- Purchase a new soft rubber brayer. Laying down the ink evenly is vital to a good final end result.
- Lay down only the thinnest layer of ink – it takes far less ink than you would expect.
- Use our Henry Gage Pins for paper registration.
Our Boxcar Press website has many more in depth tips for printing with this machine or other similar at home do-it-yourself machines. Or give us a call at 315.473.0930 and we’ll help you address specific issues with printing with KF152 plates.
The supplies on this page are some of what you’ll need to get started with your L Letterpress Machine (find the full list of necessary supplies for L letterpress printing here). For quality printing, we recommend using the KF152 polymer plate–you can purchase pre-made letterpress plates or we can make custom polymer plates for you. We also recommend rubber-based Vanson ink, which is what we use in our own print shop over here at Boxcar Press. We’re here if you have questions or want to talk.